The conference will examine the future of dispute resolution, following a period of court reform, with a focus on alternative forms of dispute resolution. The conference will count for 7 hours of CPD and will include:
• Changing trends in different forms of dispute resolution, including litigation, mediation and expert determination.
• The arbitration model, including practical aspects of arbitral procedure.
• Four separate breakout sessions exploring the use of arbitration in traditional areas, including construction, property and sport; in emerging areas such as family law and energy and in aspirational areas, such as personal injury.
• A cross fertilisation of ideas between different practice areas to examine the future of dispute resolution. The afternoon session will be interactive, and will consider how we might best shape effective dispute resolution in Scotland.
The Rt Hon Lord Glennie will give the key note presentation on the changing face of dispute resolution. Klaus Reichert SC, with a wide experience as an international arbitrator, will examine the Arbitration Model, together with a number of speakers from the Scottish jurisdiction. Other speakers include Angela Graham QC, Vice Dean of Faculty, who will examine arbitration as a model in new areas; Andrew McKinlay, Chief Operating Officer at the Scottish FA who will discuss arbitration and sport; and Rachel Kelsey who will explain a fresh approach to the use of the arbitration model in the resolution of family disputes.
£40 plus VAT to CIArb members at any level
£50 plus VAT for non-members
To reserve a place, payment can be made either:
(1) By cheque, made out to “CIArb (Scottish Branch)” and sent by post to Leigh Herd, CIArb (Scottish Branch) c/o Shepherd and Wedderburn, 1 Exchange Crescent, Conference Square, EH3 8UL; or
(2) By BACS/CHAPS to HSBC Bank plc, Sort Code: 40-05-03, Account Number: 61487744, IBAN: GB30MIDL40050361487744. Please add your name and the word “Conference” as your reference.
Please email our Honorary Secretary, Leigh Herd, at CIARBS@shepwedd.com once payment has been made and your place will be confirmed.
Advanced booking is essential.